Kenneth A. Spearman
Board Chairman and CEO
Board Chairman and CEO
Kenneth A. Spearman is Chairman of the Board and CEO of the Farm Credit Administration. Mr. Spearman was appointed to the FCA Board by President Barack Obama on October 13, 2009. He was appointed to the balance of Dallas Tonsager’s term and reappointed to a full six-year term that expires on May 21, 2016. He was designated Chairman and CEO by President Obama on March 13, 2015.
Since his appointment to the FCA Board in 2009, Mr. Spearman served as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Farm Credit System Insurance Corporation, which is responsible for ensuring the timely payment of principal and interest on obligations issued on behalf of Farm Credit System banks. He will continue to serve concurrently as a member of the FCSIC Board of Directors.
Mr. Spearman brings to his position on the FCA Board many years of experience in finance, agriculture, and agricultural cooperatives. He spent 28 years in the citrus industry. From 1980 to 1991, he was controller of Citrus Central, a $100 million cooperative in Orlando, Florida, where he was responsible for financial management and reporting and the supervision of staff accountants.
He later served as director of internal audit for Florida’s Natural Growers, where he designed and implemented the annual plan for reviewing and appraising the soundness, adequacy, and application of accounting, financial, and other operating internal controls.
From January 2006 until his appointment to the FCA Board, Mr. Spearman served as an independently appointed outside director on the AgFirst Farm Credit Bank board in Columbia, South Carolina. During his tenure, he served on the board compensation committee and the board governance committee.
Before entering agriculture in central Florida, Mr. Spearman served with the U.S. Army and is a Vietnam veteran. He later was employed by the public accounting firm Arthur Andersen & Co. and was involved with the development of a public accounting firm in Chicago, Illinois. He served as chairman of the board of trustees for the Lake Wales Medical Center. He is a member of the Institute of Internal Auditors, as well as the National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives, where he served a term as national president.
He obtained his master’s degree in business administration from Governors State University in University Park, Illinois, and his B.S. in accounting from Indiana University. He also attended Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education, where he completed a program with a concentration in Government Agency Strategic Planning.
Mr. Spearman and his wife, Maria, of Winter Haven, Florida, have three children—twin daughters, Michelle Springs and Rochelle Puccia, and a son, Dr. Kenneth Spearman.
- January 15, 2015: FCSIC Chairman's Statement on FCSIC Oversight, which discusses contracting with the FCA Inspector General for services
- Spring 2014: Seeing the Big Picture: Reflections from a Long Seasoned Career in Ag-Focused Cooperatives, an article published in the spring 2014 issue of The Cooperative Accountant
- May 8, 2014: Statement at the FCA Board Meeting
- April 16, 2014: Remarks at the Farm Credit of Central Florida Annual Stockholders Meeting
- March 13, 2014: Statement at the FCA Board Meeting
- January 16, 2014: Remarks at the FCA Symposium on System Consolidation
- November 22, 2013: Statement on Badgerland Financial's Investment Request
- March 28, 2013: Summary of Comments at AgChoice, ACA, Board of Directors Training Meeting
- July 26, 2012: Remarks at Farm Credit West Planning Meeting
- July 12, 2012: Statement on the Drought at the FCA Board Meeting
- March 4, 2012: Remarks at the AgriBank Annual Meeting
- August 24, 2011: Remarks at the Farm Credit East Board Planning Meeting
- June 22, 2011: Statement Regarding U.S. AgBank-CoBank Proposed Merger at Special Meeting of the FCA Board
- May 18, 2011: Summary of Comments at American AgCredit, ACA, Board of Directors
- October 28, 2010: Remarks at President's Planning Commission
- October 19, 2010: Remarks at Farm Credit Bank of Texas Stockholders' Advisory Committee
- August 30, 2010: Remarks at the FCCServices 2010 RAAW Conference
- April 22, 2010: Summary of Comments at Northwest, ACA, Board of Directors
- March 8, 2010: Remarks at the AgriBank Annual Meeting
- March 1, 2010: Remarks at Wisconsin Farm Credit Legislative Conference